Wednesday 10 April 2013

Dancing shadow


I hide my face from an empty world.
I’d rather see the face I love.
No-one can see the lips that burn
From the kisses you gave me
Or how my face lights
When you hurt me again.
No-one can see the shadow
Of a child who lives and dances
In the shadow of your heart,
His life in its hands,
His song in its rhythm.

And now you’re in my head.
I let you in
But now you refuse to leave.
You beat in my skull
A tune I could dance to.
So I do not sleep,
I dance alone.

Kept awake in the moonlight
That refuses to die.
No-one’s up to dance in the glow
But the shadow of my child.
He wishes to dance with you,
To bathe with you in the moon,
Before all chance is lost,
Before it disappears behind the hills,
Behind the tombstones,
Before the daylight comes
To burn my lips.

When it returns for me
I fall back to the dark
To comfort and protect.
And with every sunrise
Your heart beating in my head
I have only a prayer
The dance was real and you are mine.

So long I waited for a girl
Who pierces my pretense,
Who darkens my light,
Whose “flaws” I adore,
Whose flame is the only
That does not burn me.
A girl whose fire
I will dance in all through the night.
A girl called __
Who sets free the shadow
Of the dancing child in me.                   

No comments:

Post a Comment